Monday, June 17, 2013

CANINE HAZARDS OUTSIDE THE HOME

This is the sequel to the last blog regarding canine hazards.  Some listed below are quite obvious but there may be some that will surprise you.

1. PAINT- Not only must you keep all paint away from dogs, but also anything associated with painting such as paint thinner, any rags or cloths used in conjunction that could contain paint/paint thinner residue and paint brushes. To many dogs a paint brush makes a  very cool toy, but any residue on the brush ingested can be deadly. Also the bristles, if ingested, could lodge in your dog's throat and/or intestines.

2. INSECTICIDES/RODENTICIDES - These are extremely bad news so always keep any and all containers well away from your dog.  Also extremely important to be aware of is anything that gets sprayed by you or an extermination service.  Many companies claim they use products that, once they have dried completely, are no longer toxic to dogs. We are wary of this!  There are still services that use very toxic chemicals in their extermination product and a dog ingesting plant material, bark treated with these products or insects killed by these products could be in danger. Years ago we were walking our Malamute Buddy by an apartment building, and he quickly ate a dead bug before we could get it from him. Turns out the bug was dead because of exterminator chemicals, and Buddy ended up spending two nights in the hospital broken out in hives, vomiting and having severe diarrhea.  That was a very scary lesson for us. It was also a very expensive one.

3.  LAWN AND GARDEN PRODUCTS -  Fertilizers, weed killer and snail/slug bait are the most dangerous and deadly ones. Even herbicides can cause gastrointestinal upsets, although not deadly.  Gardening tools contain sharp pieces and edges that can appear as fun toys for your dog as well, so keep those tools as guarded from your dog as you would fertilizers. Another garden/lawn hazard for your dog is the garden hose.  Hoses are fun for dogs to chew on, but unless the hose is rubber or specifically labeled "dog safe" be very cautious!  All hoses now contain a certain amount of lead that will be toxic if enough is ingested.

4.  THE TOP OUTSIDE TOXIC PLANTS AND FLOWERS FOR DOGS - 
Aloe Vera - It's ok to treat topically on dogs in small amounts but if they decide to chew on part of the actual plant it can do some serious damage.
Amaryllis - The bulbs are the most toxic part
Azalea/Rhododendron - Ingestion of even a few of the leaves can cause serious problems
Baby's Breath - mildly toxic
Carnation Plants - mildly toxic
Castor Bean - Less common but highly toxic as castor beans contain the poison risen.
Chrysanthemum - mildly toxic
Cyclamen - can be deadly
Daffodil - highly toxic
Gladiola - the bulbs are the most toxic part
Hosta - moderate toxicity
Ivy - mildly toxic
Milkweed - deadly
Morning Glory - moderate toxicity
Oleander - highly toxic
Poinsettia - mildly toxic
Pothos - mildly toxic
Sago Palm - highly toxic
Tomato Plant - mildly toxic
Tulip - the bulb is the most toxic part
Yew - highly toxic

5.  ANTIFREEZE - Antifreeze has caused so many fatalities in dogs the companies actually changed the taste from a sweeter one to a more bitter taste. However it still is one of the most lethal substances for dogs and even a small amount can be fatal.


6.  PUDDLES - Those puddles you see on the streets from lawn sprinklers are very tempting as a water bowl for your dogs but never let your dog drink from puddles or any standing water! Puddles contain many lethal chemicals from reconstituted water and standing water can contain parasites such as  guardia and whipworm.

7.  STICKS - Chewing sticks is fine for dogs provided they have not been tainted with pesticides. However if your pup likes to ingest them it can be dangerous and even deadly as they could cause a blockage and/or perforation of the intestines.

8. ROCKS/PEBBLES -  Some people may not be aware that when their dog forages they may ingest rocks which are completely indigestible for dogs and can easily cause a deadly blockage. Always keep an eye on your pup so you know what he/she likes to forage on so you can make sure they stay safe.

That's the list for now. No need to be paranoid but safely securing any possible poisonous/dangerous objects and being aware of what is attractive to your pup's taste buds will make you sleep easier and keep your dog safe.  We welcome your comments and stories and thank you for taking the time to read  this blog.




3 comments: